HeatMiner

Deer Crashes in Finland 2007-2011

Deer crashes in Finland 2007-2011 visualized as a HeatMiner heatmap on Google Maps

This visual data mining case study is based on open data published by the Finnish Transport Agency. The original data set is available at http://beta.liikennevirasto.fi and contains approximate locations of over 22000 traffic accidents involving deers in Finland during 2007-2011.

Our goal was to create visualizations pointing out areas where the most deer crashes happen. The HeatMiner® visual data mining tool was perfect for the job as it can visualize high density regions of the accidents as colored heatmaps on Google Maps.

In the following heatmap visualizations, red areas indicate regions having the highest density of deer crashes, containing 10% of the analyzed accidents. The yellow area covers 15% more accidents so that red and yellow together include 25% of the accidents. The green and blue areas both bring in 25% more so that in total, the colored heatmap covers 75% of the selected data points.

Overview of deer crashes

The heatmap below summarizes the analyzed data. The goal of this visualization is to give a fairly good understanding of the overall situation at a single glance. To achieve this goal, we have limited the level of details and applied HeatMiner "smoothing techniques" to make the important phenomena clearly visible. This kind of summary view makes it easy to discover interesting areas for more detailed studies.

Deer crashes in Finland 2007-2011 visualized as a HeatMiner heatmap on Google Maps. Based on open data published by the Finnish Transport Agency.

Click to open interactive full page view

Close-up between Alastaro and Valkeakoski

Obviously, car drivers need much more detailed information than the country-wide summary view shown above. They need to take a closer look at the road they plan to drive to find the dangerous locations where they should keep an eye for deers. The heatmap below shows an example of a close-up view focused between Alastaro and Valkeakoski.

Deer crashes in Finland 2007-2011 visualized as a HeatMiner heatmap on Google Maps, close-up view between Alastaro-Valkeakoski. Based on open data published by the Finnish Transport Agency.

Click to open interactive full page view

Please note that colors in close-up views are always relative to the selected subset of the points and cannot be directly compared to the summary view above. For example, the red color in the close-up view above indicates 10% of accidents in the selected Alastaro-Valkeakoski rectangle (not in whole Finland).

Where is the moose?

Can we go any deeper? Can I see the moose? Well, actually that's not totally impossible! The heatmap is drawn on Google Maps so you can also open the Street View to see a panorama view taken on the road. Pick a hot location, follow the instructions below and take a look around. If you are lucky, you might find a moose captured in the images taken by Google! If you really do find one, please share the link with us! :-)

Instructions for opening the Google Maps Street View to actually see if there are any deers as warned by the HeatMiner heatmap

Heatmaps4Finland

You can now generate detailed deer crash heatmaps for your area of interest with the Heatmaps4Finland application! Use Gift Code 'Apps4Finland' to try it for free and without registration (available only for a limited time).

Create detailed deer crash heatmaps with the Heatmaps4Finland application

Would you like to see your data as a heatmap on Google Maps?

HeatMiner® is a commercial visual data mining tool that is available as-a-Service via the Cloud'N'Sci.fi marketplace. Currently, we are serving only pilot customers, but public general-purpose solutions for generating Google Maps based heatmaps will be released at some point.

We are looking for new pilot customers who would like to visualize data as a heatmap. In case you are interested, please contact Pauli Misikangas.

Comments?

Please send your comments to Pauli Misikangas.

See also


<< Parking Violations in Helsinki | HeatMiner Gallery | Traffic Accidents in Helsinki >>


HeatMiner® is a trademark of Agience Oy Ltd